Ask any Statistics/Probability/Math Question
What are Statistics?
WELCOME to Tutorteddy.com. This is a REAL site intended to help students in statistics courses. We function as online statistics tutor in a similar manner as a statistics class. online statistics help are provided to the students, researchers, etc. Our experts aid you to learn statistics and also give guidance to your homework and assignments. Statistics help provided by us will help you to learn the subject more precisely.
- Discussion on the various applications of statistics
- How to identify the situation where statistics is misleading?
- How do we define "Statistics"?
Using Descriptive Statistics the basic and certain features of the data can be described. To analyze data we use both graphical analysis and descriptive statistics. If the data relates to a variable the process of summarization is done through Descriptive Statistics. There are two topics under descriptive statistics .They are described as follows:
Various applications of statistics:
Statistics is very useful in different fields of research and study. For example in economics, business, social science, medicine, etc. statistics is applied. The different applications of statistics are as follows:
- Statistics in matters of state: The government of every county in our time collects on a routine basis numerical data in relation to its people, its economy, its natural resources and its socio-political condition. Such basic data as area, current population and growth rate of population, per capita national income etc., are now available for even the remotest parts of the world.
- Statistics in business and commerce: Business and commercial activities being similar to the functions of a government, statistics and their interpretation also prove helpful for the proper organization of business and commerce.
- Statistics in agriculture: In order to increase agricultural production and to compare two or more varieties of a crop, statistical techniques are used.
- Statistics in science: The ideas and methods of statistics have, in consequence, been useful to the sciences- in the conduct of investigations, in the analysis of findings and also in the formulation of laws.
Although statistics can be regarded as valuable subject, yet sometimes it can be misleading which leads to false and wrong arguments.
The following are some examples with explanations where statistics can be misleading:
86 % of the statistics are flawless and the rest 24 % are not so.
The above tells us that such statistics create confusion and suspicion.
Samples though useful in inferring about the population, there can be a tendency it leads to wrong decision and inference about the whole population. Actually the problem is with the sample size. The smaller the sample size, the greater the chance of getting incorrect results. Also, it may happen that the selected sample is biased. For example in the age returns individuals usually are found to have preferences for even numbers or for multiples of 5. This is referred to as response bias which occurs because of the responses of the respondents.
Statistics also takes into account ranking- For example :Sita has been ranked sixth among all, in the annual examination.
However, a problem occurs in such rankings. The categories that are selected to assign rank are sometimes not so clear. For example in the United States diabetes may or may not be the third leading cause of the death due to disease. This happens due to the chance that its rank may be altered if disease such as cancer is considered as a whole or it is divided into different types such as colon cancer, breast cancer, oral cancer etc.
Statistics true but misleading
It sometimes happens that statistics are technically correct but the statistical fact can be quite misleading. For example the price of a particular product in one year are: Jan: 79 Feb: 78 Mar: 75 April:70 May:70 June:69 July:70 August: 69 September:72 October:73 November:76 December:79.Hence though the price decreased from Jan to June, but in December it had the same price as January. Statistics would infer percentage decrease but the actual phenomenon is different here.
Definition of statistics:
Statistics is defined as scientific method of collection and analysis of numerical data.
Thus statistics learning is quite important nowadays, it has a wide variety of applications in almost every field of study and research. So just contact us and we will provide you online statistic help.